What should I do if my SD card is corrupted?
The first thing you need to do if your SD card gets corrupted is to stop using it immediately. Don’t try to save any more photos to the card. If you use the card to save more data you run the risk of overwriting the corrupted files you hope to recover. You should remove the card from your camera or phone and store it in a safe place until you have a chance to use an SD card repair tool.
SD cards provide a great way to extend the storage on a digital camera, smartphone or another mobile device. Filling this role means that SD cards are used to store photos and videos that represent personally irreplaceable memories. Unfortunately, these small storage devices can become damaged or corrupted. This can cause files to be lost or to appear to have been deleted. In many cases, micro SD card repair software can recover these files if they have not been overwritten.
If your SD card has become corrupted or you have accidentally deleted its files, data recovery software can get them back. Disk Drill is an excellent choice for this effort and enables you to recover data from an SD card in a few simple steps.
To recover files from a corrupted SD card, you need to:
- Download and install Disk Drill for Windows.Disk Drill for Windows & macOS Free Download
- Connect the SD card to your computer using a mobile device or card reader.
- Launch the application and select the SD card from the list of available disks.
- Click the Search for lost data button to begin the scanning process.
- Preview the files that can be recovered and select those you want to restore.
- Click the Recover button and select a new location to save the recovered data.
Memory cards can be damaged or become corrupted for a variety of reasons. Let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons for losing data on an SD card.
- Human Error – It is very easy to accidentally delete files or format the wrong SD card, leading to data loss. It turns out that humans are the cause of most data loss scenarios. It is impossible to totally eradicate this risk, but being more careful when dealing with SD cards can go a long way toward reducing their corruption.
- Malware and Viruses – Many viruses and malware are designed with the intention of destroying files or corrupting the storage media with which they come in contact. Cards in smartphones or other mobile devices can be exposed to these malicious programs.
- Environmental Factors – Excessive heat and moisture can wreck an SD card and lead to its corruption. These small storage devices are not meant to be durable, and can easily be damaged by too much pressure or by being bent, broken or crushed.
Here are some methods you can use to try and fix a corrupt or unresponsive SD card that does not show up in Device Manager.
– Fix 1: Try to connect the SD card to another device
– Fix 2: Use the chkdsk command to attempt a memory card recovery
– Fix 3: Fix any drive letter compatibility issues
– Fix 4: Format the SD card
– Fix 5: Reinstall the device driver software
Protecting your SD cards is really a matter of exercising caution and common sense when using or storing them. Some suggestions that can minimize the chances of losing data from your SD cards include:
- Keeping them in a storage case when not in use;
- Removing them from the device for long-term storage;
- Labeling the cards to prevent accidentally formatting or overwriting the wrong card.
Disk Drill for Windows is a comprehensive memory card repair tool that will help get your data back from corrupted SD cards as well as any other type of disk-based storage device. Perform a full recovery with a few clicks using the program’s intuitive user interface. The software is easy to use and enables any Windows user to successfully recover from data loss related to a corrupt SD card.
You can test out the solution by downloading the free trial version of the application which entitles you to recover up to 500 MB of data without any financial investment. It’s a great way to explore the functionality of the tool and the extra data protection features that come with the app. The combination of usability and advanced scanning technology puts Disk Drill at the head of the data recovery pack.
The main reason that you should use SD card repair software is that it provides you the most reliable method of recovering from a corrupted SD card or restoring missing and deleted files. Using a software recovery tool allows you to get back important photos and files that cannot be restored through native Windows features or other means. An application like Disk Drill can get back photos that you thought were gone forever with a few simple steps.
You can obtain SD cards that are intended to withstand harsh conditions while retaining their storage capabilities. SanDisk has a line of high-endurance SD cards that are designed to record for up to 20,000 hours. They can operate in freezing and extremely high temperatures and are both waterproof and shockproof. These devices increase the functionality of SD cards by enabling them to be used reliably in extreme conditions that would damage ordinary cards.