Is it possible to recover important files from a corrupt flash drive?
Yes, it is 100% possible to recover files from a corrupted flash drive. The most important thing you can do if you discover that you have a corrupted USB flash drive is to stop using the device immediately. This gives you the best chance of successfully recovering the missing data from the device. Continued use of the drive exposes it to further corruption or overwriting the data that you intended to recover. Shut it down if you want your files back.
Data loss can strike at any time. It’s never a pleasant experience and can be devastating depending on what kind of data is lost. You may have just lost the only videos of your child’s first steps or some files that contain other irreplaceable memories. If you use portable storage devices, the time may come when you have to retrieve files from a corrupted flash drive. Remain calm and you have a good chance of successfully restoring the lost data.
Recover Corrupted Flash Drive via Disk Drill
Disk Drill data recovery software can recover corrupted files from USB drives.
To recover files from a corrupted flash drive you need to:
- Download and install Disk Drill for Windows.
- Connect the thumb drive to your computer and launch the application.
- Select the drive from the list of disks in the app’s window.
- Click theSearch for lost data to start scanning the drive.
- Preview the files that Disk Drill can recover.
- Choose the files you want to restore and click Recover.
These simple steps enable you to recover corrupted flash drive files like your valuable photos and videos. You cannot actually uncorrupt the drive, but recovering its data is the next best thing.
Try to Recover Corrupted Files From USB Using CMD
You may be able to use the Attrib command to recover corrupted USB drive files with your Windows computer.
Follow these easy steps and see if this method can get back your data:
- Open a command prompt on your Windows system.
- In the prompt, type chkdsk H: /f where H is the drive letter of the corrupt USB drive and hit Enter.
- Use this command to recover the lost files on the drive: ATTRIB -H -R -S /S /D “drive letter”:*.*
Common USB Problems Caused by Physical Issues
Here are some issues that you may face when using USB flash drives along with a solution that might help you resolve the problems.
Tips to Protect Your USB Flash Drive from Damage
Taking the proper precautions to protect your flash drives can minimize the possibility that you lose data from them. Standard portable USB drives are not particularly durable and can easily be damaged if not treated correctly. Here are some tricks that can help you preserve your USB flash drives and the data they contain.
- Store your flash drives in a container to protect them from being dropped or broken in your pocket or bag.
- Avoid extreme heat or moisture as both of these conditions can lead to drive failure or data corruption.
- Remove the drive from your computer or mobile device when not in use and cap it or close it to protect the connector and contacts.
- Eject the drive to safely remove it from your computer. Do not simply pull it out of the USB port.
- Stay clear of malware and viruses by limiting the computers to which you attach the drive to ones that you know are free of malicious programs.
- Don’t edit files directly on the USB drive. USB drives can also be damaged by defragmentation and do not receive any benefits from this process.
Disk Drill – Powerful Flash Drive Recovery Software
Disk Drill offers users a comprehensive data recovery and protection application which can repair corrupted flash drives by restoring their data. It uses sophisticated scanning techniques that can efficiently recover files in over 400 different formats. This includes all the audio, video, and image formats that you’re probably using with the USB drive. In addition to helping you restore files from flash drives, Disk Drill can recover data from virtually any disk-based storage media. You can use it on your computer’s internal hard drive, external drives, and memory cards from mobile devices.
Disk Drill’s intuitive and user-friendly interface enables anyone to quickly and easily perform data recovery. You can preview recoverable data before committing to recovery. With a few clicks, files that you thought were lost forever can be recovered and used again. No experience with data recovery is required to use this tool effectively to recover from a corrupt flash drive or other data loss scenario.
There are additional data protection features provided at no cost by Disk Drill’s developers. The Recovery Vault feature enables you to select important files and folders for extra protection against inadvertent deletion. Create byte-level backups of a failing drive to be used for future recovery without inflicting further damage on the device.
Why You Should Use USB Recovery Software
USB recovery software is often the best way to restore files from a corrupted flash drive. In many cases, it is the only way to recover files that have suddenly disappeared or been accidentally deleted. When faced with the prospect of losing important or personally valuable files, data recovery software is a cost-effective alternative to sending the disk to a professional recovery service.
@Cleverfiles Just used your Disk Drill to recover tons of super old lost files from years ago! It’s like magic, I thought they were gone! Thanks so much— Carmello B. (@carmellolb) Dec 10, 2019
Did You Know?
SanDisk has a prototype flash drive that has a 4 TB capacity and fits in your pocket. The drive uses a USB Type-C interface and SSD technology. The company has no plans to market the device at this time and presented the drive at CES 2019 to demonstrate advancements in flash storage. With the price of 2 TB drives coming in at over $1,000, if these devices were made commercially available they would be too expensive for most users.