Is it Even Possible to Restore a Hard Drive Partition?
Yes, it is possible to restore a deleted partition on your hard drive. Once you discover that you have deleted or accidentally formatted a partition, stop using it immediately. Taking this precaution will prevent the files you want to recover from being overwritten by your system. Minimizing its use is a key factor that influences your ability to perform a disk partition recovery. Failure to follow this recommendation may make it impossible to undelete the lost data.
Using partition recovery software is the quickest and most economical way an individual can recover lost or deleted partitions on an HDD. You can also send your disk out to a professional data recovery service, but this will be expensive and time-consuming.
The Windows Recycle Bin is a special folder that holds files and folders that have been recently deleted from your computer. Data is easily recovered from the Recycle Bin. If a partition gets deleted or formatted, the data it contained will not be available in the Recycle Bin and will need to be recovered using a specialized software utility.
To recover a deleted partition, follow these steps:
- Download Disk Drill for Windows and install the tool.
- Launch the app and select the partition from the list of available disks.
- Click Search for lost data to begin searching for recoverable files.
- Preview and choose the files you want and click Recover to perform the recovery.
Disk Drill for Windows offers a professional-grade application that can recover deleted partitions as well as any other data which has been lost or deleted from your hard drive.
It is a versatile tool that can restore lost files and folders from your internal hard drive or virtually any type of disk-based external storage device. Disk Drill supports Windows 7 through the newest versions of Windows 10 and offers many features that make it easy for any user to recover their data in a few clicks.The program employs sophisticated search technology to find lost and deleted files in over 400 different formats. In deep scanning mode, it can find fragments of files and reconstruct them even if they have not been recently deleted.
To obtain the best results with Disk Drill, you should not use the disk on which you want to perform the recovery. Additional use risks overwriting or corrupting the data before you have a chance to recover it.
Disk Drill offers data protection tools in addition to its excellent data recovery capability. A feature called Recovery Vault adds a streamlined manner with which to recover files that are no longer in the Recycle Bin without performing a full data recovery. The tool also enables the creation of a byte level backup of a failing disk that can be used for recovery purposes without putting extra stress on the device.
There are a variety of issues that can lead to data loss, including the disappearance of a complete partition. Here are some of the ones you are most likely to encounter.
- Human error – People make mistakes. It’s unavoidable that, if human beings are involved in a process, some kind of error will eventually be made. This might be the deletion of a single file or the accidental formatting of several drives or partitions. Proper training can help minimize the incidence of this type of data loss.
- Malware and viruses – Infection with malware can cause all kinds of damage to your computer including data loss. Protecting yourself from this kind of attack requires you to use virus scanning software to keep unwanted programs from accessing your computer.
- Faulty system upgrades – Upgrading applications or operating system software can cause unexplained data loss. This includes having partitions disappear. There was a case of widespread data loss after a Windows 10 upgrade. As a precaution, we recommend that you backup your system before performing any updates or upgrades.
- Mechanical problems – Disks can degrade or fail which results in lost data. You should not ignore signs like strange sounds that might indicate your drive is experiencing mechanical problems and may soon fail.
- Environmental issues – Data loss can be caused by excessive heat or moisture which can damage a hard drive. Physically protecting your computer or storage device is essential if you value your data.
Data recovery software offers the best method of recovering a deleted partition. As long as the affected disk is not used after the deletion is noticed, the data will be recoverable using a quality recovery application. Other methods of recovery may not be as effective in restoring the data to its state when it was deleted.
Using techniques such as the Windows facility for restoring previous versions of a file or recovering from a backup will not be useful if files have been modified shortly before they were deleted. If that’s the case, the only way to get the files back intact is to use data recovery software.