Many computer users take advantage of external hard drives to store valuable information. They may keep extensive collections of photos, videos, music or other types of data on an external drive rather than use up all of their computer’s internal disk space. Storing this type of data on an external drive not only expands the storage capacity of their machine, but it also is a great way to make the information available to multiple users.
So it can be quite distressful to plug in your external hard drive and be presented with a disk that cannot be read by your operating system. Sometimes, issues beyond your control can cause the filesystem to become RAW and unrecognizable to your computer. But there is no need to panic. We are going to show you how to recover files from a RAW external hard drive using data recovery software.
Since you may have arrived at this page due to the need to recover data from a RAW external hard disk, we will first address the most efficient remedy for this problem. After we have shown you how to get your data back, we will discuss the possible issues that affected your drive and some potential actions you can take to prevent it from happening again.
Recovering Files From a RAW External Hard Drive
We have chosen Disk Drill data recovery software as our tool for this exercise for reasons that we will discuss at length after we provide the recovery steps. The software is available for Windows and Mac systems. Each version has a slightly different interface so we will provide two versions of the recovery process.
Here are the steps to recover files from a RAW external hard drive using a Windows computer.
- Download and install Disk Drill for Windows on your computer or laptop.Disk Drill for Windows & macOS Free Download
- Connect the problematic external hard drive and launch the application.
- Select the external hard drive from the disk list displayed in the app’s main window.
- Click the Search for lost data button to initiate the disk scanning procedure.
- Preview the files that have been found by Disk Drill by clicking on the window designated for the type of files that have been lost. You can select from Pictures, Video, Audio, Documents or Archive files.
- Select the files you want to recover and click the Recover button to start restoring your data. You can also click Recover all rather than selecting individual files if you want to perform a full recovery.
- You will be prompted for a safe location at which to store the recovered files.
- When the recovery is complete, verify the data has been restored to its new location and breathe a little easier.
Use these steps to recover lost data from an external RAW HDD using a Mac or MacBook.
- Download and install Disk Drill for the Mac.Disk Drill for Windows & macOS Free Download
- Attach the external hard drive to your machine and start the program.
- Choose your disk from the application’s disk list.
- Click the Recover button to start the scanning algorithms. Filter on the type of file you are looking for in the app’s menu bar.
- Preview the files that can be restored and make your selections.
- Click Recover again to perform the restore.
- Once the process ends, locate your files in their new location and stop worrying about that potentially lost data.
Whichever platform you use to recover your data, Disk Drill gets it back with these simple steps. You don’t need to be a data recovery specialist to successfully recover data from an external hard disk that has gone RAW.
Why Use Disk Drill?
You might be wondering why Disk Drill was chosen as the recovery tool. Well, it was not a random decision. There are quite a few data recovery tools on the market these days, and we believe Disk Drill is the best for several reasons. Let’s take a close look at this versatile data recovery program.
Ease of use is very important in a data recovery application. Tensions are liable to be high as you wrestle with the idea of having just lost all of the data on the external drive. You don’t need complicated procedures at a time like this. With Disk Drill, in the matter of a few simple clicks, you are on your way to successfully recovering files from the RAW disk.
The simplicity with which recovery is performed disguises the sophistication of the scanning algorithms that are used to find data on the RAW hard drive. These algorithms can recognize and reconstruct files in hundreds of different formats. A Quick scan will uncover recently deleted data and may be all that is needed in some cases.
Harder to recover data can be rescued by employing the tool’s Deep scanning technology. It will take a little longer to complete, but the results of a Deep scan are worth the wait. Scans can be paused and resumed at will to allow you to recover your data at your own pace.
While the focus of the previous recovery steps is aimed at RAW external hard drives, this versatile tool can restore lost data from any disk-based storage device. You can recover files that appear to have been permanently deleted from the Trash or Recycle Bin.
While these features alone make Disk Drill an obvious choice in data recovery software, the addition of free data protection tools seals the deal. Recovery Vault acts similarly to your operating system’s Recycle Bin or Trash by keeping copies of deleted files easily accessible for a defined length of time. You can configure the Vault to protect valuable files and folders so they can be recovered instantly without performing a full recovery if they are accidentally deleted.
The tool also enables you to make a byte-level copy of any disk as a protective measure. These backups are useful in any situation but are especially helpful when faced with a disk that may be starting to fail. You can use the backup to perform data recovery on lost files without putting the original media through additional stress.
How a Hard Drive Can Turn RAW
A hard drive that is designated as being RAW has a logically damaged filesystem. This may have happened for a variety of reasons.
- Malware or a virus attack can cause filesystem damage and turn a drive into a RAW state.
- Manufacturing defects can surface over time and result in a drive that displays a RAW filesystem.
- Incorrectly removing the drive from your computer before it has finished a write operation can also cause this kind of damage to your drive.
After recovering the data with Disk Drill, you can safely reformat the drive and use it for storage again.
Some Measures to Protect Your Data
Here are some ways to minimize the chance that you will suddenly be faced with a RAW external hard drive that needs to be recovered.
- One of the selling points of external hard drives is their ability to be shared. Every time you plug your drive into a strange computer you run the risk of being infected with a virus or malware. You should be very cautious about connecting an external hard drive to computers that you cannot verify as being free of malicious software.
- Make sure that all write and read operations are complete and that you remove the drive from your computer in the accepted fashion. Eject it properly using operating system commands. Failure to follow this advice increases the possibility that you might be looking at a RAW drive sometime soon.
- Don’t ignore signs of imminent failure with an external hard drive. Get your data off of it and onto another drive if you start experiencing intermittent missing files or hear strange noises coming from it while in use.
A Final Word
Don’t despair if you suddenly find your external hard drive unrecognized by your operating system due to it being put into a RAW state. Download Disk Drill and preview the files that can be recovered for free. Windows users can even perform 500 MB of data recovery without purchasing the software. Once you have determined that the tool can rescue your lost data, you can go ahead and obtain a license to get your important files off that RAW external hard drive. The problem is solved efficiently and effectively.