Laptop and notebook computers are very popular for both general purpose business and personal use. While specialized desktop machines may dominate the gaming market and other niche interests, most of us can get all the computing power we need with a high-end laptop computer. The storage capacity of laptops is increasing, and you can always use an external hard drive to add some space. The convenience and flexibility of working with a laptop makes them the first choice of many users.
Laptop hard drive recovery can be critically important to users who have experienced lost data. It is quite likely that you keep important files on your machine and losing them is not an appealing prospect. Luckily, there are ways to recover data from laptop hard drives if you have accidentally deleted files or formatted a partition. We are going to discuss three methods that you can try.
- Method 1: Perform Laptop Hard Drive Recovery Using Disk Drill (100% Effective)
- Method 2: Connect Your Old Hard Drive Into a Desktop Computer
- Method 3: Use Your Old Hard Drive As an External Hard Drive
- Why Laptop Hard Drive Recovery Software is Always a Winning Option
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- How to Protect Your Laptop From Losing Important Files (Bonus)
First, we will demonstrate how to recover deleted files from a laptop using Disk Drill data recovery software. A key point to remember when dealing with data loss on an HDD is to stop using the disk as soon as possible. In the case of a laptop, the data loss is often associated with the computer’s main disk.
To recover deleted files from a laptop with Disk Drill, follow these steps.
- Download and install Disk Drill.Disk Drill for Windows & macOS Free Download
- Launch the application.
- Select the disk on which the deleted files resided from the list presented by the program.
- Click the Search for lost data button to start Disk Drill’s scanning procedure.
- Preview the files that can be recovered by the tool.
- Select the files that you want to get back.
- Click the Recover button to perform the recovery.
You can attempt to recover the data on your laptop’s hard drive by removing it from the computer and using it with a desktop computer. To do it, follow these steps.
- Obtain a laptop hard drive adapter kit that enables you to directly connect the laptop’s drive to a compatible desktop machine.
- Remove the hard drive from the laptop.
- Turn off the desktop machine and disconnect it from its power source. Open the tower or enclosure.
- Connect the drive using the adapter.
- Configure your computer to use the new drive and reboot the machine.
- Search the new drive for files that can be recovered. Save them to the main computer or an external storage device to guard against permanent drive failure.
Another way to recover data from a dead laptop is to use the drive as an external hard drive with a different laptop computer. If your computer has crashed and there is no chance of starting it up again, you can remove the hard drive and potentially gain access to all of the data it contains.
The procedure will differ slightly depending on the type of computer you have, but follow these general steps to turn your drive into an external hard drive.
- Obtain a hard drive disk enclosure that is compatible with the drive you are removing from the laptop.
- Remove the hard drive from the dead laptop and connect it and insert it into the disk enclosure.
- Connect the drive to a compatible and operational computer.
- Use your operating system to investigate the drive and recovering available files by moving them from the external drive to the computer’s main storage or another external drive.
Recovering your data using data recovery software offers you the most effective method of recovering data from a laptop computer. There is no need for additional hardware or adapters and you don’t have to pull the drive out of the computer. The scanning algorithms employed by data recovery tools can salvage and reconstruct files in numerous different formats, enabling them to be used with their associated applications.
Becoming familiar with a data recovery application before you face a data loss scenario enables you to deal with the situation in a calmer manner than if you had never used the tool before. Consider downloading the free version of a data recovery program and learn how to use it. It could prove to be a very worthwhile investment of your valuable time.
Data loss can is never planned or expected. Realizing that you have accidentally deleted some files you need for a meeting in an hour can lead to extreme levels of stress. Having data recovery software on hand can help you get the files back in time, but there are other ways as well.
It is possible to protect the files on your laptop in ways that can provide alternate means of recovering at least a version of any deleted files. We are talking about backups here. Taking regular backups of your important data allows you to restore old versions of a file in the event it is deleted. It may be your only recourse to recover a hard drive from a dead laptop.
There really is no excuse for not backing up your computer if you care about the data it contains. You cause a variety of methods including software that is included with most operating systems or taking advantage of cloud storage and backup providers. If you aren’t already backing up your computer, we suggest you get started today.